Day 5 transfer

This was unreal. First of all, they ask that you have a full bladder when you go in because it makes the uterus easier to see on the ultrasound machine. I drank a bottle of water on my way home from school and finished it up in the parking lot of the clinic. No biggie . . . Until about 30 minutes later. I was not going to make it! The doctor comes in and does a scan of my bladder to see if it is full enough. He says it's too full and I get to go to the bathroom! Hooray! I'm sure that was too much info, but I wanted to take you through every step.

Anyway, the doctor gives us a picture of the embryo that they took earlier that morning and as he is giving it to us he is looking at it. He comments that it's a beautiful embryo. He says it is textbook: under the definition of blastocyst, this is what you see. I said "That's what you tell everybody." He assured me it wasn't. Apparently they grade embryos based on their inner cell mass and outer cell mass (I have included an informative picture-not ours) from A to C based on how well they are growing. The picture shows another AA embryo. 9 months later, this becomes a baby named Nick! Amazing!


They wheel in an incubator, at least that's what it used to be, and it has our embryo inside! Julia has been our babysitter over the past 5 days, watching over our embryos. She loads the catheter with the embryo. The doctor does one trial run with an empty catheter. He then uses the loaded catheter. We watch on the ultrasound machine. The catheter reaches the uterus and then we see a tiny white dot float inside. Then it is done!

I had to wait 30 minutes before leaving. Then we went to vote and headed home. I am on bed rest basically for the rest of the week.

I'm not sure if I'll be posting any more for a while. So, keep the prayers coming!!



Comments