What is stealing your joy?

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I frequently start off in a great mood, full of energy and optimism. After a few hours, I get worn out and irritable. It's definitely time to start analyzing what is playing in my head. At a closer look I find guilt that is coming from comparison: comparison to others (professionally and as a mother) and comparison to my own expectations. 

God has amazing blessings in store for us each day. He is a wonderful Father, eager to give us good things. Happiness is found in focusing on these blessings and silencing the voices that are saying our house isn't clean enough, we aren't skinny enough, we don't have enough money to feel real joy. Don't you know that's why all of these advertisers are so successful? It's ridiculous upon closer inspection: this particular makeup or outfit is going to make you as happy as that model running through the meadow. We know that doesn't make sense, but we buy it every time. 

I can speak for myself. I see ads, or Pinterest, or Facebook, or anything portraying "the ideal" and I think I am missing out on something. These people have it all together and I don't. I need to play catch up! I better get busy! Here's the secret: these are lies meant to distract you, stress you, overwhelm you, keep you running around and not paying attention to what God is giving you and what He is saying to you each day. This is the reminder that I need. I'm really talking to myself.



Another reminder I need: exercise and eat well. Sometimes exercise is all I need for an attitude adjustment. That endorphin rush can do wonders. I love to run because, for me, there is no better or faster way to get that rush. Because of the pregnancy, I have chosen not to run. I know may women do, but once it was late enough into the pregnancy that I felt okay with it, I didn't want to anymore. And now I'm huge and I really don't want to. I'm trying to take more walks and get to the gym more now that things are calming down with our family.

I have said this a billion times, but I have a ravenous sweet tooth lately. I need to kill it! But, I've given in to the holiday fun and I am back on track the second week of January. I have never been so tempted by sweets before, so pray for me come January! I did pass my glucose test with flying colors! Even better than I did with Lincoln. I think it's because I had a shake that morning :). Those are great for a sweet tooth, in case you're wondering. Eating healthy does wonders for energy, attitude, cravings, all of it. I've just been particularly weak lately.

I'm very much looking forward to getting into a routine of healthy eating and working out with Chad. That's going to be awesome! But here's what I'm learning: don't put all of my energy in looking forward to the future. We tend to put ideals in the future--expectations, perfection--all of that can be in the future and we don't have to deal with it now, just dream about what it's going to be like. That's setting me up for disappointment. Joy is found in looking around and enjoying what I have now. I have so much to be joyful about now.

I have time with my family together and healthy. Wow! I can't even believe it. It all just happened so much faster than I expected. I remind myself to be still and silence the voices that want to push me toward progress and busyness. I find it very hard to rest. I want to shove my day full so that at the end of the day, I feel like I've accomplished something. Maybe that's coming down from being a teacher, trying to keep that pace and anything short is laziness. I know that's not true, so while there's a voice that urges me on to try to fill my day, I am reminding myself that this time together is fleeting. Before we know it, life will be back to normal and busyness will infiltrate whether I want it to or not. Here's my focus: enjoy each moment and bask in the season!

Comments

  1. LOVE your wisdom, and your blog!! Keep writing, and keep helping Chad get stronger, and enjoy every precious moment in the "now"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment