Complaints, anxiety, worry, and fear destroy us.

I'm now 33 weeks pregnant and I have a lot of inner complaints: my back, catching my breath, I'm tired, you can imagine the list goes on. Add to it any of my current circumstances at the moment and I am a crotchety old woman. (Speaking of current circumstances, has anyone else dumped half of their tub of coffee grounds into the fridge? Silver lining: I had the vacuum out, so I went ahead and cleaned the kitchen floor.) Anyway, I continue to be reminded that complaining is a tool meant to break us down and focus on the things that aren't the way we want them to be. This is "The Destroyer" that this quote mentions:

"We must not [ . . . ] grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer." 1 Corinthians 10:10

I am challenging myself to stop the complaining: inside my own head and out loud. This is a bigger task than it seems because it's easy to stop speaking the complaint, but to stop thinking it? That requires constant vigilance over my own thoughts. Here's a secret: if you can continue screening your own thoughts and replacing them with better thoughts, you are on the road to success and happiness in all areas of your life. Just changing your mind! Can you believe it? It's been proven over and over again. I dare you to research it.

So many times, our minds take over and take us down a road that wears us down and destroys our hope. This destruction happens in our complaining and also in our fears and anxieties. These two trains of thought kind of travel down the same track. I am just starting to realize the power of my own thoughts. Our minds can do amazing things. I know that Chad is healed by God and by His strength. God gave Chad a determined mind and an unbeatable spirit. He's always been like that, no matter what's going on in his life. God armed him with the strength he needed for his battle and wow! We have all seen that the results are amazing.

As I am thinking about our journey, I am also hearing many other stories of people who are facing hardships and struggles with their health, both physical and mental. It's overwhelming, it's everywhere. These trials are very real, and during whatever it is that we're going through many of us are oppressed by our own fears and anxieties. We are powerless when it comes to so much in our lives, but we don't have to allow our thoughts to run away with us.

I have shared many times that I have lead my thoughts down the rabbit hole before, but I always come to realize that this path is taking me nowhere. Nowhere but to sadness, worry, anxiety. God always puts a hand on my shoulder and reminds me that He is here to lean on. Stop the crazy thoughts, give it over to him and think positive. Remember that He is my Father who can do anything and who loves me more than I can ever imagine.

Our culture has decided that worry is smart and it is loving. If you are anxious about money, that's normal and you should be because you need to make sure that you have enough for kids to go to college, retirement, and every other thing that calls to you. If you are worried about your family, that's you caring for them. All of these are the cultural norm. But, God tells us not to worry about a thing.

Here are two of my faves:

"And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?" Luke 12:25

For me, this puts into perspective that my life is temporary and not really my own anyway. Jesus is not saying life will be easy and there is nothing to worry about. He's saying worrying about what's coming will do you no good. We know it will in fact do us harm.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

This is incredible because Jesus is telling me that His burden is light. What?! I think of what Jesus went through as a very heavy burden, but I know that he relied completely on God's strength. He gave His burden to God and God walked with Him through it. He is an example for us to do the same thing.



For me, this worry-screener has to stay on at the forefront of my mind. I have to constantly re-calibrate, but I think that is because I need to practice. It's not just about willing it to happen, that is exhausting. It's about catching myself and praying about it. God can take over from there. He has to change my heart and mind.

On that note, my mind has filled with gratitude for tonight. Lincoln is such a joy in my life. Even when things are chaotic or he isn't listening, he fills my heart with laughter and happiness. I am also thankful for the peace and quiet that comes after he has gone to bed. I love enjoying this cup of tea and checking in with you guys. Love y'all and goodnight.

Comments

  1. I love your heart Lauren! You are constantly trying to reflect the Father all the more and it just makes His heart shine through you all the brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, please do not stop writing - we are all anxious to know that Chad is well and looking forward to hearing about the new baby and Lincoln too. I have lost sleep many many nights worrying - and you are right that is crazy... this shows up as my daughter Susan.. not sure why - but I am her Mom, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment