Slow down

God is full of mercy and love. I have been moody lately. I can blame it on the pregnancy, but I have to admit it's kind of always an issue for me. I am hoping that only those close to me know, I'm easily irritated.

I'll admit, it's been hard to be alone, just Linc and I for so long. Here's a mini-pity party. He's starting to become a three-year old and everything is pretty much a battle. But, today I had to slow down and talk to God. I asked for patience and endurance. He reminded me that we are told lies all day every day. The devil is after our heart, mind, and soul. He loves to attack when we are weak and tired. Who isn't there? We're all there. Meanwhile, if you're anything like me, you're thinking over all of the things that you have to get done while your little one is throwing a tantrum or asking for 1,000 things at the same time, or helping himself to 1,000 things he's not supposed to be into.

Then I remember to have patience because of the grace that God shows me everyday. I am doing things wrong all day everyday also. I am distracted by the world, by the next thing that promises satisfaction. I have to be real with you here. While I am spending time at home without Chad and things are not lining up in my life like I picture they should: house, business, and family, I try to find satisfaction in other things. I try to escape through TV, food, mindless time on Facebook, and it is always empty and unsatisfying. God promises to be enough, if we only seek Him.

"Trust in the lord and do good;
Dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord,
And he will give you the desires of your heart."
 Psalm 37:3-4

I know better, but don't always do better. This world calls to me so loudly and so often that I forget to seek God first. Isn't that the way? So much to do, we stay distracted or we choose to be distracted. And then, what happens? I'll tell you what happens for me is guilt and this is a powerful tool for the enemy. This wears me down and makes me feel helpless. I feel guilty for not doing the housework, not spending enough time one-on-one with Lincoln, not getting into my Bible like I should, working out like I should, the list will go on and on. Here's a great and hopeful reminder: none of that comes from God. God will convict our hearts and urge us to do better and even give us a path and plan, but He will not berate us with guilt at every turn. So, it's time to stop listening to that voice.

I'm reading a book called The Carpenter by Jon Gordon. It teaches some very essential principles on how to build a business based on love and service. One of the big lessons--or reminders really because this pops up a lot in my reading--is that we should stop listening to ourselves and instead we should be talking to ourselves. How amazing is that?! We have the power to change these thoughts that are streaming across our minds. The tough part is becoming aware of that voice and editing it constantly. Gosh, this is something I've been working on for about a year. It's a constant diligence.

Are you telling yourself that your work is not good enough? That you should be working harder? That you should have more and do more and be more? I have to constantly surrender that to God. I was praying tonight that He takes over my business. I struggle here because owning my own business is well outside of my comfort zone and I put a lot of pressure on myself then fall short and feel bad about it. I told God tonight that my business will be to His glory, whatever He wanted it to be. I am here to accept the opportunities and challenges that He puts in my path and follow His lead. And what should I be doing? Staying connected to Him in His word and through prayer.

So, tonight I'm slowing down to connect with you because it's been a while. I've actually been avoiding getting on because I've been so moody. But, here I am people and I'm baring it all! Emotionally, of course.

Who knows how to slow down better than this guy? He's helping me with a cup of decaf earl grey and reminding me to take it easy and don't put too much pressure on myself. I hope he does the same for you.

Comments

  1. Thanks for those good reminders!!❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 3:5-6 and Philippians 4:6-9 are two good passages to speak and pray. Also, I'm reading Switch on Your Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf. Good read. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment