We want more peace and calm in our lives.

How easy is it to see where someone else is going wrong? We are very good at judging the shortcomings of others and knowing how to do what is right in their lives.

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3

This judgement of others has been around since the beginning of time. I am reading in the Old Testament the story of Ahaz in 2 Chronicles. What a fool, right?!

"In the time of his distress he became yet more faithless to the Lord" 2 Chronicles 27:22

It's easy to judge him for seeking outside help and turning away from the Lord. We can see so clearly when it's someone else and when the whole story has been written in black and white.

I am often this way also. In fact, it happens on a daily basis. I get overwhelmed by housework or a tantrum or just whatever small thing that's happening and forget to call on God for my help. I think about how I can do better or fix it or reach out for comfort/ escape in some other way.

It was just a couple of days ago when I was tired, overwhelmed, and just wanted to crawl into the fetal position. Lincoln has started embracing his three-year old side 😓. Yes, grandmas, he is still a perfect angel . . . but, sometimes he forgets he is wearing the halo. He is struggling with transitioning and there are days where I feel like I have fought him on every turn. This is a stage that he will grow out of, I know.



But anyway, we were having a particularly rough day and I was done with it. Then, I remembered that I could call on God for my peace, no other help was coming! This does not mean that I expected that Lincoln would start listening and doing whatever I wanted. What happened is that Lincoln continued to do whatever he was doing, but my perspective changed and I was given more clarity and calm. My whole attitude shifted and I was approaching him with a lighter heart.

How often do we reach for some other fix instead? Not just in this circumstance, but I do this professionally also. I have a goal I want to meet or task I want to complete and I turn it over in my head 100 times before I realize that God is there to guide and provide the next steps. Call on Him, seek Him! This message has been everywhere lately. I read this just yesterday, "and as long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper." 2 Chronicles 26:5 (This is not the same guy that made all the mistakes in the passage earlier, this is about Uzziah who did seek and then forgot to seek later . . . mistake, man!) God is always there. He knows what's happening and wants us to seek Him for His help.

So, this is my encouragement for today, for myself and whoever needs it. We are all struggling in some aspect of our lives. Remember to seek God when you are feeling lost. You know what's even better, seek Him before that. And let's say you're someone who has never tried this, give it a try and see how it goes. Earnestly seek Him and pour out your heart and your struggle. Instead of calling your girlfriend and complaining, complain to God and let it all out: tears, snot bubbles, sweaty faces, and all. He hears what we have to say and holds it all in His hands.

Comments