Free to Let Go

I'm double-dipping on this one. Here is the devotional that I shared yesterday at MOPS (Mothers of Pre Schoolers). By the way, this group of ladies is amazing!

“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”  John 8:36



Mamas want our babies to be safe, warm, and secure in our nest. I struggle. I struggle so much with weight bearing on my shoulders. Worry coming from every outlet: stories from friends, Facebook, TV, my life--some real reasons and some fictional, not even happening reasons. My sons play the lead role in every traumatic story or horrific experience. I am ashamed to confess that my husband has died in my mind more times than I want to admit. I have heard it said that worrying is a “mom thing.” I get it. Satan wants us to be worried. Worry says that we don’t know where help will come from or if there will be help!

Mamas, we love our babies so much. So so much. You may have been in the same place with me in the very dark nights of the first few months after bringing baby home. Every danger happens to your child in your mind’s eye. You don’t want to put them down, leave them alone in their room. It’s all too much. I remember feeling like I was grasping at safety and security and it was always inches away from me, threatening to leave me. God is merciful and He is so so good. He calmed my fear and reminded me of His love for my children. His selfless love for my children and my husband, your children and your husbands, FAR exceeds mine or yours. He allowed me to release my controlling grasp--more mental and emotional than physical.

Like many of you here, God has walked with me down some very dark paths. But, He has always drawn me closer and into a deeper understanding of His goodness. I remember specifically driving home from Duke one day when Chad was still very sick. The future was unknown (isn’t it always?) and I was letting my mind go crazy. I started talking to God, expressing my hopelessness. He didn’t tell me that everything was going to come out ok--in the "ok" that I pictured, but He reassured my heart that it was okay to let Him have it all. What a sweet, sweet relief.

Oh thank you, God for your Son, Jesus Christ. Because Christ came and died on the cross, we are free from the curse of sin and God’s promises have become available to us. You, as a Christian, may call on every promise in the Bible. Here are a couple that I have clung to when circumstances got very hard:

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Psalm 84:11 “For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.”

But, let me remind you that it is not release it to God once and done. Remind yourself, when the weight bears down, that it’s okay to let it go to God. It’s okay because of what Christ has done for you. He has promised to keep us and never leave us.


Comments