What's up with the fig tree?

Baffling, right? At least it has been for me. Mark 11:13:

13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” 

Give the tree a break, man. It was not the season for figs. I have always felt like Jesus was a little harsh towards the tree. Spoiler alert! The next day the tree "withered away to its roots." Then Jesus tells the disciples to "Have faith in God," which to me seems a little out of place. 

But, I couldn't have planned a better verse for me tonight because God has been putting something major on my heart for the last few months. He's been urging me forward. To step out in faith where things are uncomfortable and the landing looks questionable. Allow my pride to fall on the floor around me like a heavy coat or more like an exoskeleton. This emerging applies to all areas of my life.

I've let the excuses layer on, one after the other. I've allowed myself to be where I am for too long. Even the Bible (and The Byrds) says there is a season for everything. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

3 For everything there is a season, and a time for every [a]purpose under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7 a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

And I think that this particular season for me has had a place, but God does not want me to stay here, cocooned in comfort. The fig tree had its seasons and it was right to be in its season, but Jesus was looking for figs at that moment and the tree did not produce. Jesus had faith that when he said, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again" that no one ever would, and look what happened to the tree. 

So, I guess it's not really about the demand for figs out of season. (Hello! We've solved that problem in the U.S. haven't we? But, tonight is not the night to urge you to buy local.) It's more about Jesus telling the fig tree to wither and then it did. He tells us in verse 23 about the mountain. And so many of us know the verse about the mountain:

23“Truly I tell you that if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and has no doubt in his heart but believes that it will happen, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.…

It's been justification for so many prayers. I would love for God to make a top ten list of most ridiculous prayers with this verse as their impetus. But, what I am getting from this is not so much that I can just ask for anything and receive it. (How many things have I asked for and haven't received? I never doubted that God could do it. But it wasn't in His will. And that's some tough beef to chew on---a topic for another day.) I am hearing God tell me to take the next step forward and that He will be there for what happens after that. And then after that one. And so on. I can't go wrong stepping forward into the scary unknown. 

The scary unknown for me includes connecting with people on a different level. Connecting with more people and stepping beyond my current realm. Allowing and inviting others into a closer, more authentic relationship. Taking time to serve others. Moving past survival. 

What's your scary unknown? It's taken me some time to figure it out for myself. And it's just the beginning, but it's a great starting place!


Comments

Post a Comment