Good gifts

Hey there, I know this is not my normal posting time, but I had a few quiet minutes and wanted to spend them sharing what's on my heart. This heart is just exploding tonight. Chad, Lincoln, and Levi were dancing to a Disney song after a movie night and I could just cry. You know Disney, they always leave you feeling a little extra hormonal. As I looked at these boys and their father, this verse came to mind:

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." James 1:17

Every good gift. Think about that! All of the good things that we enjoy day-in and out are gifts from God. Thank you, God! We have so much to be thankful for right here in front of our eyes. That's the message I'm hearing from God lately. Every good gift, from the simple daily pleasures, to the family I have, to the best gift of all: salvation through Jesus Christ.

As you know, I have been through Job and I'm now in Psalms. As I was looking back at my journal, seeing what's popping out as a common theme lately, I found this quote that fits right in with what I'm feeling tonight:

"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
You hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant
places;
indeed I have a beautiful inheritance." Psalm 16:5-6

I have many gifts that I can thank God for: tangible gifts, things that I can see and touch here on earth: "The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places," but God warns us to not make idols of these things. Don't we worry ourselves sick for our families and our futures? Our finances and our security? We have to be careful not to obsess over these things.

"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup." The Lord! He is everything. We have nothing without Him. But, my goodness, this world can be distracting! Our emotions pull us this way and that (Talking to you, Disney movie!) and we don't want to let go of what we have right in front of us.

But, we have to. Daily. Surrender it all. Be okay with letting it all go. Because God is not going to leave you high and dry: "You hold my lot." So many times God has reminded me that He is good and He is trustworthy. I am weak and I still question Him often in the face of struggles. "Are you going to hold me through the trial this time?" And you know, He always does.

So, as all of us face uncertainty in so many areas of our lives--health, finances, security--we can trust that God has it all in His hands. He loves us and gave His only Son as a sacrifice for us. What amazing love! And even as we continue to struggle with detaching ourselves from the things of this world, He continues to give us good gifts daily. Wow! What a loving Father!

I'll leave y'all with this picture taken right after the dance party. Cue the waterworks for this mama!


Comments