Sticks and stones

I hope I am catching you having your coffee break. I'm doing the same. Thank you one million times, Lincoln's preschool! Today, I am thankful for Lunch Bunch and the fact that Lincoln loves to socialize and be with friends. I have the freedom to sit down to a warm tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, salsa, avocado, and a hot cup of coffee. I'm hungry at 11, so let's have brunch! Have I made you hungry?




Being hungry can affect me emotionally also. Do you struggle with hanger (hungry/ anger)? What about hungration? Honfusion? I can do this all day. Well, sometimes it's an easy fix, like . . . EAT, other times there is more going on. Today, I knew I had to fix something to eat and another cup of coffee/ my life-blood these days. But, I have also found that I am feeding into my own negative self-talk.

In this season of motherhood, I am falling short in some areas that I wish I wasn't. Truthfully, it's a pattern of presenting myself with the ideal, working toward that ideal, and then not meeting the mark. And this pattern plays out in all of the areas of my life, but what has specifically gotten me down lately is the state of the house and my work life.

So, negativity festers and grows where it is fed. I have uncountable blessings poured on me every single day. I am blessed in my house, my marriage, my family, my business all. the. time. Constantly. But, when the negative voice speaks, that's what I find myself listening to, feeding into, allowing to control me. (I expose all of this to you not because I love to show the messy insides of my life, but because I know that there are so many reading who also have messy insides. I love to connect with others in a way that is authentic.) Here's the secret that I am now realizing---> That negative voice is always hangry for more!

Here is a typical onslaught: "You wanted to get laundry done and clean this room, neither of those happened and it's actually messier than before!", "The bed is still not made! It's 5pm!", "Weren't you supposed to get those 5 tasks done for work today? Have you done any!?", "Your office is a complete wreck!" And the list will go on and on. Add to that the ickiness of feeling less than put together--truthfully there are many days where a combination of body spray and dry shampoo give me enough confidence to leave the house--and I find myself in a downward spiral.

Guess what? Sticks and stones can break your bones (I'm just realizing how brutal that is, by the way), and words CAN hurt you! Specifically my own words in my own mind, usually in response to some ideal I've set before myself. Yes, I do want to walk into a magazine worthy house, but that's unrealistic. I do want my business to soar to higher levels, but that takes time. I can set my mind on my own successes.

There is a starving voice in my mind telling me all that I'm doing right. My kids are super happy and bubbly. My family is together and healthy. We have so much emotionally and physically right as well as things that I enjoy. There are parts of the house that are clean and tidy at rotating times in the day. The dishes are (mostly) done. The list goes on and on. When I feed that voice, my heart gets lighter.

God wants us to feed that positivity and starve the negative voice:

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22

So many things call to us. Our hearts are fickle and want to be set on something. I try to set my heart on my ideals, but even when they are realized, my heart is not satisfied. I am thankful that I know why: my heart will only be satisfied when I set it on God, not on the next task completed or next level achieved.

Remember that God is for you, and all of your messy insides too. When I am in despair, I call on Him and He reminds me that I am free to be messy, He quiets that voice and allows me to rest.




Comments