The Magic of Christmas

I'm feeling fully steeped this year in the magic of the season, in a different way than I ever have felt before. I know many of you are similar to me, growing up with the notion of Santa and hoping for him to come and bring great presents--there is magic in that--but as that fades, what does Christmas become for you? For me, for many years, it was a reason to get together and enjoy family and gifts for a while. And there still is a good place for that. But, this year I am feeling the magic all over again, but in a different context.

Maybe it is because I have given birth to two children and watched them begin to grow, but as I  think about God coming to this earth as a baby, it strikes a powerful image. The Creator of all things came here helpless, born in a stable, and took on flesh with all of its shortcomings. Being fully human, He lived a perfect life and gave himself up for me. And if I were the only person on this earth, He would do it for me! The pain, the torture beyond anything I can imagine. What love! Completely selfless--no thought of Himself at all, only thinking of my good. Our good.

So, what does that mean now? It means that we have hope. Hope in death, yes, absolutely, but also hope here on this earth--God walks with us in everything that we are going through. How do I know it? Because He says so in the Bible. Because when things are very dark all around and my mind spirals down and down and down, I can cry out to him and He pulls me up and away from all of the darkness. I would challenge any reader who does not believe me--or who does not understand what I am talking about--next time when you are thinking some very wrong thoughts (fear, death, despair--we have all been there), I challenge you to call out to God, in Jesus's name. "Help me, God and take these thoughts from me! Put your thoughts in my mind! I pray in the name of Jesus!" And take note of what happens in your mind.

This prayer has given me peace beyond what makes sense, considering our circumstances. We are so thankful for the healing that God has given Chad. It continues to be unbelievable to me that his lung function is stabilizing and we are even seeing numbers increase. What a wonderful, personal Christmas gift God has given to us! Through it all, when we didn't know what the future held--and none of us ever do--He assured me that I could trust Him and His plans for us.

I wanted to know His plans, but He continues to take us step-by-step, one day at a time. That is His grace, His mercy, His divine understanding that does not allow us to bite off more than we are able to chew. Thank you, God for being a good Father, full of wisdom and always working for our good.

He has always known that we need a Savior. Divine intervention, standing in the place for each of us, doing what we cannot do on our own--making our relationship with a perfectly good God possible.

Merry Christmas, y'all! I am so happy to be celebrating this season at home with family and friends this year. I hope you are cozy in your jammies, finished with all the to-dos, and able to relax for a bit.




By the way, if you are interested in being spiritually fed and you love podcasts, give Anne Graham Lotz, "Living in the Light" a listen. I have really gained a lot from what she has to say about suffering, specifically during this season of our lives.


Comments