It's a season

I love that phrase, "It's a season." For me, it works as a great reminder that whatever I am going through will, at some point, come to an end. There is no discretion, though, about the season. So, the flip side of the phrase is sometimes not so good. The little babytoes (I'm making that one word because they are so little and squished up together, sometimes folded into the baby tummy, everything so squished), the chubby hands with dimpled knuckes, slobbery kisses, sweet babbling words. Everything is going to move on.

I didn't purposefully leave it out of my last post that was describing where we are right now, but I just didn't think about it: we haven't been sleeping much around here. Coffee is an amazing wonderful gift from God and it is the only reason we are able to do anything besides couch and videos. (Full disclosure, I AM "eating clean," which would usually mean cutting coffee, but I CANNOT give up my coffee right now. My business has an "energy fizz stick" that is AMAZING for energy, but it is made with green tea and ginseng and those two substances have not been researched enough to deem safe for nursing moms. So, COFFEE ME, big time! If you want to debate the issue of coffee and nursing with me, send me a message, we can talk that over too.)

It has been rough, especially these last few days in particular. But, just as a close friend of mine, mom of four, reminds me: everything is a season and just when you think you can't take any more, it's done. So, the crying and screaming and clinging and not napping is done for now because--as I noticed during our morning nursing session today--at least one (maybe two!) tooth has popped through! We only got up once during the night (I think this is a habit that we are working on breaking) and even at that time, he wasn't hysterical like he has been. Hooray!! Sanity is returning to my home!!

During this last week or so when we were in the roughest parts of the teething, I prayed, and cried, and begged for rest--especially in the very early morning hours. Enter self-pity and frustration, the opposite of patience, gentleness, kindness. I was so very tired and it would have been so easy for God to make the tooth coming in a lot easier on us.

But, I am thankful that God is trustworthy and loving. I can trust that His love for me allows only what is best for me, not what is the easiest on me. As a mother who loves my children very much, I can make the wrong choice about what is best for them. They might beg for chocolate or more toys, or more video game time and I will frequently give in. That is not for their betterment, but truthfully for my own peace and temporary joy at watching their enjoyment. God has no selfish gain from my circumstance. I am so thankful that He is all-knowing and sovereign over all things.

How is teething and lack of sleep and all of those trials better for me? I don't have a complete answer for that, but I know it is a training ground for me to exercise some of the attributes God is trying to grow in my life: patience, gentleness, self-control. These characteristics will be tools that I can use in many of life's circumstances, because we know that life is tough.

Galatians 5:22
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

I am so thankful for you. My prayer is that you will look at your seasons and see how God is working in your life right now. Have a great day today! Love y'all!



Comments