Who else is excited for Spring?!

April, when did you get here?! Let me first say, welcome spring! You might think that I am being sarcastic given the recent weather, but I am looking forward to the warmer weather this week will bring and I know I join so many others in saying that I just CAN'T WAIT!! Doesn't everything change when the warm sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the flowers are blooming? I don't know if I necessarily feel more down in the winter, but I definitely feel a different level of excitement when the weather is nice.


One of my favorite activities in the sp is taking the boys to the playground!


Usually this means that I want to do more also. I have a natural tendency to want to do everything. At the same time. While this can be a problem because it's impossible and so many things are left undone, I actually love it. The tingle of a new idea is just too exciting. Sometimes it comes to fruition, sometimes it's halfway done and abandoned, and sometimes it is finished, but the finishing isn't the sexy part.

My latest obsession is planning a beach vacation for our family. My closest friends know these things: I love love love the beach and, nearly as much, I love planning a beach vacation! Looking at the different houses, working out the bedroom/ budget puzzle, imagining us all there having a blast. It's a very temporary hobby, but during those few days where we're deciding, I am full-blown beach mode. Then my heart aches for the salty air and the blistering sun on my skin for another few months. That reminds me to make a dermatology appointment.

I am particularly jazzed right now because one, I haven't sat down with you in a while and I love it. Two, I am exchanging my coffee for a tea/ fizzy combo for 30 days. Let me tell you, the fizzy is no joke! I love it because I know it's a healthy alternative and has no junk. I have not abandoned my coffee and I don't see that happening, but it's good to do every once in a while. Show my coffee that it has no power over me!! And my wine . . . oh, wine, I miss you terribly. (I dramatize, it hasn't been so bad on that front either.)

**Caution: I feel like I write this entry every month, but maybe it's because it's still working out in my heart. Maybe yours too?**

Today I want to talk about this obsessing. I dare to say that we all do it. We find something new and shiny and we fixate on it or we put our hope for happiness in it. Maybe it's a new job, house, location, house decor, whatever. It can be anything! Mamas (and Dads too), we worry about ensuring security and safety for our families. This natural tendency is a good thing! God gave us the desire to keep our family healthy. But, in this culture, the security and safety idea is exploited. Media outlets are feeding us article upon article about how this or that will kill you. It's overwhelming. We do whatever we can to ensure that this danger will not be a part of our family. Before kids, I never thought I would spend so much time thinking about baby food, childrens' snacks, TV, outdoor activity, the list can go on and on! But at every turn, someone is telling me that what I am doing is wrong. I can choose to follow along and take their word for it, or I can walk calmly, praying and hearing from God about the right choice for us.

Caution: you are about to enter my Real World confessional room. Really, I don't have anything that earth-shattering to share because those who read my blog often know that I struggle with these same things over and over again. So, I was thinking about my own anger and irritation when my children, specifically my oldest, isn't doing what I asked him to--for like the hundredth time--or he's responding to me in an inappropriate way--for the billionth time. And the youngest is screaming his head off for seemingly no reason. Or, I get all turned around in my own mind about what I think my husband is saying to me, even if he means it a different way, and I respond in an snappy way. All of this ugliness can be floating around in our house and can be completely ignored. All the while, I am obsessing about the food we're eating, the TV we're watching, the reading we are or aren't doing, not realizing that the most detrimental things are going unnoticed.

God calls to my attention that I have these sins in my heart and I am saddened, but so thankful, because He reprimands those He loves (Hebrews 12:6). And that means that we can make changes, in His strength and under His guidance. This anger, irritation, impatience, pridefulness does not have to become the culture of the home. He is merciful and forgiving and allows us a new day. Every day is a new opportunity to do things differently. How awesome is that!?

I pray that we go forward today aware of our preoccupations and that God keeps them where they belong in our hearts, not as a focus for our happiness and security, or a replacement for His love and  our contentment. I pray that God disciplines us when needed so that the wrong choices and the sin in our lives do not have the opportunity to fester. Have a great day! Love y'all!

Comments